The Mobile Multimedia Information Systems Group works closely with the German Centre for Neuro-degenerative Diseases Rostock. In this context, I have cooperated with DZNE on developing methods for recognising the behaviour of people with dementia as well as for methods for systematic knowledge elicitation and situation models development for assistance of people with dementia.
Taken from the DZNE website:
“At its site Rostock/Greifswald the DZNE works closely with the universities and university hospitals. It is intended to use Mecklenburg West-Pomerania as a model region to study the effects of demographic change, identify dementia-related medical and long-term care needs, develop and implement new care provision networks and monitor their effectiveness. The aim of a care provision network is to improve the current situation for Mecklenburg West-Pomerania’s elderly dementia patients and their families, and to use the knowledge gained to develop solutions to tackle the demographic problems that other regions in Germany will face later down the line.
In the real-life situation of a population-based survey, the DZNE Rostock/Greifswald offers the opportunity to evaluate new diagnostic and treatment approaches in practice for their practicability and clinical benefits. This includes an image-producing diagnostic marker, biomarkers from liquor diagnostics, potential future blood markers, basic research on pharmacological therapies and their use in patients, psycho-social intervention and medical technology assistance systems. A series of diagnostic markers and therapeutic approaches are currently being tested in clinical studies at individual institutes and in multicentric networks belonging to selected clinical collectives. As yet, however, there is no information as to how new diagnostic and treatment approaches affect people’s quality of life and care in a broad population.”
- Samer Schaat, Philipp Koldrack, Kristina Yordanova, Thomas Kirste and Stefan Teipel. Real-time Detection of Spatial Disorientation in Persons with Dementia. In Gerontology, 2019 [full text]
- Kristina Yordanova, Philipp Koldrack, Christina Heine, Ron Henkel, Mike Martin, Stefan Teipel, Thomas Kirste. Situation Model for Situation-aware Assistance of Dementia Patients in Outdoor Mobility In Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 2017 [full text]
- Kristina Yordanova, Philipp Koldrack, Christina Heine, Ron Henkel, Mike Martin, Stefan Teipel, Thomas Kirste. Ontology for the Outdoor Mobility of People with Dementia. In Technical Report, University Library, University of Rostock, 2017 [full text]
- Christina Heine, Philipp Koldrack, Kristina Yordanova, Elisabeth Kasper, Thomas Kirste, Stefan Teipel. Behavioural Manifestations of Disorientation of Persons with Alzheimer’s Disease Dementia in Outdoor Wayfinding Tasks: Towards A Situation Aware Assistance. In Alzheimer’s & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer’s Association, 2016 [full text]
- André Hoffmeyer, Kristina Yordanova, Stefan Teipel, Thomas Kirste. Sensor based monitoring for people with dementia: Searching for movement markers in Alzheimer’s disease for a early diagnostic. In Constructing Ambient Intelligence, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2012. presented at the Workshop on User Interaction Methods for Elderly People With Dementia at the AmI 11. [full text]